Do you find yourself tossing and turning in your sleep? Waking up feeling unrested? Starting your day with back, shoulder, or neck pain? If you answered “yes” to any of these questions, you may want to direct attention towards your sleep ergonomics. Our sleeping postures and positions play a key role in the quality of our sleep and, consequently, our overall health. With the following tips, you can start relieving your body of stress while you sleep and wake up free of aches and pains!
– Pay attention to your mattress! Although firm mattresses are generally recommended, choose a mattress with a firmness level that is most comfortable to you. Sleeping on an uncomfortable, worn out mattress can make back problems worse. If you’re using a traditional spring mattress, replace it every 5 years or consider switching to a memory foam mattress which conforms to your spine’s natural curves and keep your spine in alignment.
– Avoid sleeping on your stomach, which strains the cervical spine. This position puts the most strain on your spine. Instead, try sleeping on your side or back.
– Use pillows for more than just your head and neck! When sleeping on your side, place a pillow between your legs. When sleeping on your back, place a pillow under your knees and a small rolled towel under the small of your back. If you tend to sleep on your stomach, try sleeping without a head pillow. Proper pillow usage allows your body maintain a neutral position and reduces bodily stress and tension.
– Invest in memory foam (form-retaining) pillows. These types of pillows, like their mattress counterparts, offer greater support than standard pillows. They are more ergonomically favorable by filling in the spaces between the head, neck, shoulders, and the mattress, keeping your body in alignment throughout the night.
– See your chiropractor! Getting spinal adjustments (especially in the cervical spine) can help treat insomnia and sleep apnea, and improve the quality of your sleep. By reducing muscle tension and spasms, you’ll be able to fall asleep faster and have a deeper sleep.
Sleep is crucial for our body to recharge so make sure you’re addressing any factors that could be hindering it! Take matters into your own hands to optimize your sleep and you can rest assured knowing you’ll wake up feeling good and ready to take on the day!
Have questions or interested in seeing a chiropractor? Give us a call at (408) 426-4936 at our Santa Clara office and we’ll be happy to help!