Ever had a stressful day at work and came home with a throbbing headache? Wake up tired after a rough flight to New York with a tight squeezing pain in your temples? If you have, then you have likely experienced a headache.
A headache is pain in any region of the head. Headaches may occur on one or both sides of the head, be isolated to a certain location, radiate across the head from one point, or have a squeezing-like quality. A headache may be a sharp pain, throbbing sensation or dull ache.
Headaches may appear gradually or suddenly, and they may last less than an hour or for several days. There are many different causes and types of headaches.
Your Doctor of Chiropractic at Santa Clara Custom Chiropractic can help properly diagnose the type of headache, the root cause of it and treat it using manual therapy, chiropractic spinal adjustments and lifestyle modification counseling.
The most common primary headaches include:
- Cluster Headache
- Migraine (with and without Visual Disturbances)
- Cervicogenic (medically known as tension-type headache)
Some primary headaches can be triggered by lifestyle factors, including:
- Alcohol, particularly red wine
- Certain foods, such as processed meats that contain nitrates
- Changes in sleep or lack of sleep
- Poor posture
- Skipped meals
Schedule visit with your Doctor of Chiropractic when symptoms:
- Occur more frequently than usual
- Are more severe than usual
- Worsen or don’t improve with appropriate use of over-the-counter drugs
- Prevent you from working, sleeping or participating in normal activities
- Cause you distress, and you would like to find treatment options that enable you to control them better